Saturday, August 2, 2008

today i'm holding my head high

I did it! I actually did it! My first 5 mile run EVER without stopping to walk...and all in 43:46 with an average pace of 8:42. I'm just in shock that I actually ran that long without feeling as though my body was about to collapse on the pavement. I was running a tad bit slower than normal, but thats OK! SLOW IS OK, especially now! I'm realizing that the longer these runs get the harder it is to keep up with my normal pace, so now's the time to get my butt in gear and embrace running for hours on end. I think I even got a burst of RUNNER'S HIGH! Just as I was about to finish my last mile, I just started running like no other. I went from huffing and puffing to running a 8:01 mile on the last stretch. I didn't even start cramping until the last 200 meters. I had no idea I was capable of that!

Can't wait for my 6 miler next saturday!

6 comments:

Kaity Mackenzie said...

Dude... your 'slow' is SO NOT SLOW. Congrats though... I love you anyway.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first 5 miler! You sure are speedy. Of course most people are compared to me! I'm out there though, and so are you! Great job!

Steve said...

great job...congrats!!

BK said...

Keep it up Laura! And thanks for your encouragement from afar :)

--Brian

Stuart said...

Found you CRN, congrats on your 5 miler, it's all albout pace so a little slower is just fine.

Bobby Gill said...

Good job! And yes, you are correct, slow is GOOD. Training slower/wiser at a correct pace will allow you to race faster... or at least that's what my coach preaches and it seems to work