Saturday, August 9, 2008

a new reason to run

The past couple days haven't been so great, but my first 6 miler this morning made that not so great week so much better...and here's why...

I have found a new reason to run: Kate Moore...and her favorite song ("Free Fallin' - covered by an acoustic John Mayer) A few days ago this amazing and loving girl passed away so unexpectedly and ever since then I've seemed to find myself thinking more and more about life and my TRUE reasons for running this marathon. With that said, the runs have been easier, my mind has been clearer, and instead of concentrating on that last step before I can stop and walk, I'm now able to just let myself go. Granted I do get tired and I do wish I could stop at times, but I'm doing this for Kate, my greatest inspiration. I WILL keep going!

Mickey and I finished our 6 miles in 52:53 this morning and while there were some tough points along the way, we kept on going...for her. It was PERFECT running weather and the breeze was great. Mickey was great. I've really found it so much more relaxing when running with someone then with running alone. Just that extra "umph" besides you makes it so you never want to stop.

To my Kate...
"I feel your energy existing in everything beautiful in life--- Every wonderful song, poem, piece of artwork... I will think of you. You live through all that is beautiful. I feel your heart in mine always have, and always will. You are my greatest inspiration. I love you."

...next week my 7 miles is for you.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I know so many people so run for those who no longer can't. I started running shortly after I lost my grandpa to heart disease. We have a history in my family, so each step is one step I hope to stay ahead of it.

My running club lost a fellow runner two years ago. She was hit by a car while training. I will never forget her. Someone had placed a sign just before the last mile of the Chicago Marathon..everyone in our club ran the last mile for her.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacerboy4/280241927/

Keep up the good work.