Tuesday, August 26, 2008

this can't be good

Well, today's the day I'm supposed to make up for yesterday's missed run and it's not lookin' so good. The pain is gradually starting to make its way to the outter part of my left shin (by my ankle) where it feels as though that whole tendon (or whatever is connecting this bone to that bone) is stretched to its limits. Ok, now I'm starting to think I did a real number on my shin during the course of this training and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. Rest, ice, pain killers, yada yada yada, I know the drill, but can I really afford to take this much time off running? Is there anything else?! What about the endurance I've worked to hard to get at this point? Will my body, aka my left leg, be able to hold up on the 10 mile run on saturday? (I refuse to miss it) Experiencing this type of pain before, during my gymnastics years, I'm gonna self-diagnose and say I've got a whopping case of shin splints...CRAP!

I did a couple rounds of ice massages last night and already took my daily dose of aleve, and its feeling a little bit better, but I just want this pain to go away. Rest = healthy and pain free, but its hard to get healthy when I'm walking around in heels all day. Looks like I'm just going to sit at my desk and walk only when its ABSOLUTELY necessary...or just walk around with no shoes on. I'll sacrifice anything for running!! (joking makes it better, right?) Anyways, I think I'll take another day off the pavement to rest my body, and instead join a gym! Time to get my butt back, in gear and start lifting again...and start cross training. I figure if I get my 3, 5, 3's done this week on the elliptical I'll be ready to go by Saturday morning. Let's hope!!

2 comments:

Steve said...

I am not an example of an advanced runner, I do have a lot of miles under my belt. The one thing you have to do is listen to your body. If you have pain, it is your body telling you that you have done too much. Rest is not a bad thing. You are showing signs that I have seen and experienced with new runners before. Too much....to fast. Do you 10 miles as scheduled, but cut back on the pace.

I've had issues (noted on my blog) that has kept me beind my marathon training schedule. I pushed it too much this weekend and now I'm paying the price (haven't updated my blog yet). My feet have horrible blisters and now I've lost probably another week.

Keep up the drive to do more, but continue to listen to your body. If you hurt more than the "normal" pains of a run..you are doing too much.

Take care...you are doing great!!

Kaity Mackenzie said...

Seriously girl... don't hurt yourself. Take a break!!