Tuesday, August 19, 2008

crisp mornings and foggy trails

This morning's 5 mile run was just what I needed to feel absolutely exhausted at work...but I am soooo happy its done and out of the way. Plus, I think its awesome that my "short runs" are now up to 5 miles! Hopefully I'm just feeling the "its not quite afternoon yet so I can still be tired until morning is over" effect. But a bit of green tea and water should do the trick to wake me up. I've been managing to get enough sleep before my runs but maybe my body is screaming for more, which I have no problem providing.

One thing I have noticed when running in the mornings is that it's no so bad waking up at 5:30. Of course it takes some getting used to, but I'm much more of a morning person who would rather get her run out of the way first thing instead of expending all her energy at work while dreading the additional work (the run) that lays ahead of her. That, and it's much easier for me to keep a steady pace since the heat from the sun isn't beating down on me, causing me to sweat profusely (hopefully its not too hot and humid for the marathon in florida). It's just more refreshing knowing that I can actually enjoy my run rather than counting down the minutes until I run out of breath.

I finally got my iPod up and working again so today's run took me 42:56 with an 8:32 mile. My calves have been tightening up during the runs (who knows what its from) so I've been ice massaging/stretching them each time I finish. Hopefully it works. The one thing I dont understand though is how runners can submerge their whole bodies into ice baths...i can hardly stand the ice on my shins. Brrrrrrr!

2 comments:

Adam said...

Running in the morning seems to start my day off much better. Also by the end of the day, I dont want to run when I get home.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Michelle said...

Ice baths are crazy! I can't stand the cold so I've never been able to stomach the idea of sticking my whole body into ice! All the more power to those who can.