Wednesday, July 30, 2008

every accomplishment starts with the decision to try

I'm thinking this is the motto i'm going to live by during the course of my training. The last couple of runs I've done on the treadmill only because its been so unbelievably hot and humid, but I quickly learned that a treadmill is NOT the way to go! At least for me. Now that I'm training my body to just keep going until its time to stop, its amazing to see what it is you really miss (scenery wise) during the every day hustle and bustle of what we call life. Not to mention that with running outside, you've got no choice but to keep going. I think thats what I like so much about running now....to see how far you can push yourself from where you started before turning back. All i keep thinking is...

"Permanence, Perseverance and Persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragement, and impossibilities:
It is this, that in all things, distinguishes the strong from the weak" ~ Thomas Carlyle

Today was Day 2 (Week 1) of my training. I had to run 4 miles and for some reason it was easier than I expected it to be. I'm not sure if it was because I was excited to be out of the garage and off that treadmill or because I ran part of the way without headphones, where I listened to nothing but my breathing and the way my feet hit the pavement. It was more of a relaxing run rather than strenuous and it was all because I wasn't really concentrating on the run at all. You'd think music would redirect your attention from running, but for me, I think its only a distraction. Anyways I ran my 4 miles in about 33:45 with an average pace of 8:26...I was surprised

Lets see...In other news, I'm running my first 10K (Run Jane Run) at the end of August with Kaity. I'm pretty excited. Plus, I figured it'd be a good start if I got myself involved in some races before the Marathon.

Lastly, I just want to say that I am so happy I made the decision to run this marathon. I feel so accomplished and confident after each run. So for all you runners out there, I admire your persistence and willpower to keep up with this grueling and demanding sport. WE ROCK!

1 comment:

Kaity Mackenzie said...

yeah... we are kind of like rockstars now.