Tuesday, December 2, 2008

trying anything to beat this

I can't really describe what I've been feeling these last 10 days except pure frustration. My knees have not stopped hurting and I've been doing everything in my power to get them better...icing, resting completely, and taking abnormal amounts of drugs. I've even resorted to Glusocamine Chondroitin MSM tablets, which supposedly lubricate your joints so you can run long distances. I'm praying that this stuff actually works because if I have to go another week with doing absolutely nothing except sitting on my butt waiting for my body to heal, I'm going to scream. Race day is a shy 40 days away and I've gotten in no more than 3 long runs (I was supposed to run a total of hmmm 8?) since I began this training. Let's just recap how many weeks I've lost due to injury - the whole month of september, two weeks after my half marathon, and the past 10 days. That brings me to a grand total of missing out on 7 weeks of training. That is almost 2 months and it's starting to make me wonder how I'm ever going to get through this marathon I'm about to run if my knees can't hold up during 17 miles. However, according to some friends who love nothing more than to run, I will be ok. "The first 20 miles are what you need to prepare yourself for. The last 6.2..thats all mental, and as long as your not trying to do anything but finish the race, you'll be fine" they say. I can deal with mental. That part I think I can tackle. It's the question of will my body be able to hold itself up during those 4+ hours of running? Whatever it's going to take, I'm going to get that one last long run in...20 miles this Saturday morning.

I'm starting to assume that these injuries of mine are God's way of telling me I am not a marathon runner. "Just stick to the half marathons" he says, which at this point, I'm about to listen. It's ok if my body cannot handle this distance. I've done enough pounding and breaking over the years that I don't want to have every joint replacement surgery out there. As long as I get through this marathon I'll be happy. Even if I have to stop and walk a little bit, thats ok. I didn't decide to run this marathon to see how fast I could get through it. I chose to run this marathon because I never thought I could do it.

2 comments:

Kaity Mackenzie said...

I know you can do this. Just listen to your body. It is NOT a bad thing to walk parts of the marathon. Dude... I probably would have walked half of it. Just do your best to finish. You are incredible in every way. Just remember that.

Newly and Forever, Tamantha said...

I hear you! I've gone from IT Band...to patellar tendonitis...to posterior tibial tendonitis...it gets frustrating....Do what you can do! I echo the part about walking...I used to think it was a bad word...but a little bit of walking here and there won't take too much off your time and may help you in the long run! Good luck to you!!