Wednesday, October 15, 2008

time is going by much faster than expected

It pleases me to announce that my body actually held up during my 14 mile run last saturday. Not to mention that is the farthest I've ever gone in one shot, and surprisingly it really wasn't that difficult (thank you big hearty bowl of pasta the night before). I think it might have been one of my easiest long runs. I mean there were some tough times along the way aka the last 20 minutes where my knees and ankles began to feel the effects of a 14 mile trek through Bloomington, but the good thing is I ended with hardly any blisters (at least not any big ones on the bottom of my feet). It took me about 2 hours and 14 minutes, and I even ran all the way up by work and back, but I did it...and all without stopping. 

I don't think I'd say I'm getting discouraged for this marathon coming up in January, but time is flying by and the longer my runs get the more I start to see why all those people look at me and say, "a marathon? why would you ever want to run 26 miles? are you nuts?" And yes. Everyone, I am nuts for putting my body through hell and back, but I absolutely love it! I love it because its a challenge. And I love it even more because of the mental aspect. I think I have learned more about myself and what I want out of life during those long runs then I have ever known/realized while growing up. It amazes me what you start to think about when you have nothing to do but run for hours on end.

Aside from all that, my half marathon is this Sunday. It's back home so I'm really happy about that. I don't know what to expect really (in terms of running with such a big crowd), but I'm excited to be a part of it. Just hopefully my knees can hold me up. I've been doing more cross training (and not wearing heals to work) this week to take the extra stress off my joints, but I think I'll get my 7 miler done today around campus. Hopefully it doesn't storm/rain. Although, I wouldn't mind running in the rain.

2 comments:

Kaity Mackenzie said...

You are going to rock it out! I am so proud of you. I wish I could say I was in the same place, but as I explained to you I'm not there yet. I am still running though! I love you! You will do an AWESOME job this weekend! YOU GO GIRL! (PS: make sure someone takes some pictures!)

Anonymous said...

I seriously have mad respect for people who train for and run marathons. I know people who think anyone can do it... Complete BS. I don't know if I have the will power to put my body through hours and hours of running a day... Keep up the good work.