Sunday, October 19, 2008

halfway there and never looking back

registration: $65
box of running gu gel packs : $30
full tank of gas to make it home: $34
twisting your ankle on mile 4: PRICELESS

the greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall...literally

ok so I'm thinking my life story could be the next mastercard advertisement, but thats besides the point. First thing's first. I FINISHED my first half marathon! And under 2 hours (1:54:03). Aside from the mishap of twisting my ankle on mile 4 and knowing I wasn't going to give up and stop there, I just kept going and ended up running faster than I have up to this point. It must have been all the adrenaline (even though I felt like I had none) because there wasn't an ounce of pain until the very end when I was trying to get through the hoards of people to find my family.

All in all today was a great day. So what I have a black and blue ankle the size of a tennis ball and won't be able to walk around for a few days. The only thing that matters to me is I actually made it through one of these races. Of course there were points where I would ask myself how in the world I could push my body to run these distances, but then snapped back to reality of remembering what it felt like watching not only thousands of people cross a finish line but also thousands of people cheering you on along the way. It was such a new experience, and something I want to keep up with for a while. To be honest, I can't even really remember alot of what I was thinking during the race except "JUST KEEP GOING." There was such a huge support system I don't think it ever crossed my mind with how ridiculous I probably looked hahaha. Just after today, I have so much respect for all you runners who have been doing this your whole lives.

I'm on the road to tackling one of my biggest challenges yet. Lets just hope my body can keep up!

the person determined to achieve maximum success learns the principle that progress is made one step at a time.
Every big accomplishment is a series of little ones




1 comment:

Kaity Mackenzie said...

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ARE SO AWESOME. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. I LOVE YOU. You rock in EVERY way!