Saturday, November 22, 2008

did all that really just happen?

Welp, I'm at a complete loss for words this afternoon when it comes to my run this morning. Not only were Mickey and I able to make it out on actual pavement at 7 am, but also managed to run 17 miles in temperatures reaching no more than 23 degrees. Our noses were running like crazy, my hair was frozen, and I even managed to notice what looked like snowfalkes on Mickey's eye lashes. Oh, not to mention my frozen face which made it impossible to talk. It was absolutely miserable, but the fact that we got through it is what I'm most proud of. We stopped a couple times just to catch our breath, and normally I'd be somewhat mad with myself, but I'm pretty sure huffing and puffing non-stop for 2 hours and 45 minutes in the freezing cold isn't so good for your lungs. There were points where I found myself getting frustrated...not with Mickey (who by the way is a trooper for continuing to run with blistering feet and those moments when I thought he was going to stop breathing)...but with the fact that I knew my body wasn't doing too hot, and as funny as it sounds, stopping only made it worse. However, I don't think anything could have been worse than running in the conditions we ran in. At one point I just remember laughing at myself and asking why it is I chose to live in the midwest and why in the heck I was training for a marathon hahaha. But thats what I absolutely love about all of this...is the fact that no matter how much I tell myself to hate it, no matter how much I question why I chose to do it, I will always finish and look back and KNOW that I can make it through anything. Plus, I'm just nuts for choosing to do this, so there's another reason for ya :)

I do have to admit something though. After my half marathon I thought it was a piece of cake to run those long runs by myself, as long as I was healthy, especially after my experience of running a race with an almost broken ankle. Yet, today wasn't so easy and I thank God that I had Mickey with me. We're a pretty great pair if you ask me. There have been days when I haven't been able to make it through a run and there are days when he can't make it through a run. Yet, we have each other and as mad as we get at each other when we're trying to find the strength to keep each other going, I am so thankful that it is him that chose to do this with me. When it comes to this marathon, he is my rock, and I can't wait to see what the next 50 days until the marathon brings...AHHHH!

2 comments:

Kaity Mackenzie said...

You are doing an amazing job! You continue to inspire me... Not only are you an incredible athlete, but you are a true friend. Thank you so much for all the work you are doing to help with OMG. I really appreciate it and I have been thinking of ways to show you my appreciation. Let me know the next time you are going to be in town. We must get together.

Anonymous said...

I have to hand it to you, those who can sign up for a marathon in January, I tip my hat to. This weekend it was about as cold as it was with you (I'm outside of Boston) and because I'm not training for another big race like you, right now, I just said forget it, I'll run inside.

17 miles in that kind of weather is really impressive.

I'm also glad to see you can be running again too.