Friday, January 9, 2009

2 days out

It only felt like a few weeks ago that I was counting down from 110 days until the marathon, so where did this being 2 days away from race day come from? Everything I have worked so hard for has come down to this very moment where I will put myself through probably the most grueling 4 1/2 hours of my life. But its all worth it. I've started thinking more about why I trained for this in the first place and I guess you could say its not only for me, but for all of those people who knew I hated running and who knew I could never keep going for more than maybe 15 minutes. It is for that moment at Big Easts last February when I couldn't compete because of that unexpected surgery. And it is for everything that has kept me from doing what I had always wanted.

In some ways it feels as though all of this hasn't happened and its hard to picture what its going to be like on Sunday. All I know is that the race starts at 6 am and I have to be on a bus by 4 am to make sure I'm there early enough to get as close as I can to the starting line. But hey, I'll be in Florida so none of that matters, right?

The past week has been great as far as preparing goes. I have been eating non-stop (which is always a plus) and have been drinking more fluids than my body thought was possible. The self-talk, believe it or not, has helped tons. I always used to talk to myself when I was doing gymnastics and diving, but never did I think you needed it as much as you do when it comes to running. I'm just ready for Marathon day...I'm ready to talk myself through every little ache...pain...cramp...and the not so little "hitting the wall." I'm just ready to experience what will hopefully one of the most fulfilling things of my life. So here I am...off to Disney World...the happiest place on earth + a 26.2 mile run hahaha

I'll keep everyone posted when I get down to Florida.

2 comments:

Mary Gee said...

You will have a fabulous time! Can't wait to hear about it! Just enjoy yourself.

Newly and Forever, Tamantha said...

How was it!!!!?????