Friday, June 27, 2008

humidity hurts like hell

Okay, so the best part about yesterday was that I actually got my run in. The worst part about yesterday was that it was about 92 degrees and blistering humid...YUCK! I had planned on waking up at 7 to get my run in, but you know how that goes. I'm usually pretty good with following through with plans I make for myself, but with how much I've been working and living my oh so grown up life, I'm exhausted by the time I get to bed. Anyways, because I missed my morning session I told myself "hey, I'll just get it done tonight around 7." Bad idea....not only am I still in the process of getting used to the pleasure of running obnoxiously long distances, but waiting 3 hours after work to run just didn't settle well with me because the more I think about it the closer I get to not following through with what i'm supposed to do. With my anxiousness of getting finished as soon as possible I thought I'd just run in the shade and it wouldn't be too bad considering it was a bit cloudy. I was wrong. Not only was I dripping with sweat (i looked as though i had just jumped in a pool...kinda), but my face was fire engine red and i could feel my pulse beating through every joint of my body. I think i might have even been a bit dehydrated considering my hands were starting to swell. However, I managed to stay optimistic about the run since i will be running not only in the happiest place on earth (cliche tag line haha), but also the most humid.

Tomorrow is my last day of 15/5 and then onto step 8 of prelim training (20/5 x2). I tend to get real bored by the end of the week when i'm doing the same workout for 4 days, so it takes a little more self-motivation than it should. I'm guessing its a good sign though when more distance/time is added to the workout. (i still have this odd feeling of excitement for my first 10 mile run) I'm starting to worry a bit though....my right shin is acting up again, but hopefully this rest day will give it enough time to re-coop. I've been stretching, popping tylenol before every run, and icing, but nothing seems to be doing the trick. Any suggestions?

In other news...I GET NEW RUNNING SHOES/gear this weekend! Exciting!!

1 comment:

Kaity Mackenzie said...

Yeah... yesterday was gross. I don't think today will be much better either! Ick. I just keep telling myself that it's worth it... and it is.

The running shoes should help with the shins. Also keep stretching and drinking water. I always do a cool down walk too... more than what's scheduled. I should also be doing more of a warm up, but I don't have the patience yet.

You are doing great girly! Keep on keeping on!